WordPress Image SEO is an easy to use WordPress SEO plugin for images. It allows you to optimize your site images and make them much more search engine friendly.
Image SEO Plugin Summary
Image SEO Plugin Features
- Change the alt and title attributes of your images automatically.
- Improve search engine ranking by using more meaningful alt attributes.
- Efficiently manage the alt and title attributes of all of your post images.
WordPress allows you to upload images very easily via media library. While uploading images there are various options that you can configure. One of them is Alt which is the alternate text for the image.
Is Alt Attribute Important For An Image?
All the websites get indexed by the Google crawler regularly. While indexing a site it goes through everything including your blog posts, pages, images, videos, tags, categories etc. However, it cannot view the images like a human. So if you have an image embedded named “test-image.jpg” it will actually see the following:
<img src="https://noorsplugin.com/images/test-image.jpg" />
Just by looking at this code I don’t think the crawler will be able to understand what this image is about. Also the name of the image is “test-image.jpg” which doesn’t mean anything. So this image is pretty much useless in search engine other than making your blog post/page look beautiful to the visitors. Now how can you improve its structure? well, that’s where the alt attribute comes in handy. You could add an alt attribute to the link saying alt=”smiley face”. It makes sense to the crawler that the image is showing a smiley face. You could even make it better just by renaming to “smiley.jpg”. It’s much more understandable to the crawler.
Can I automate this process?
By the time you are reading this post you might have thousands of images in your WordPress media library that are linked to certain posts or pages. So it’s hard to go through each of your images and fix the alt attributes. WP Image SEO will help you with that. It automatically fills out the missing alt attributes of your images.
WordPress Image SEO Plugin Installation
- Login to your WordPress admin dashboard
- Go to Plugins->Add New
- Enter WP Image SEO in the search box
- Once you find the plugin hit the install button
- Download the zip version of the plugin
- Go to Plugins->Add New and switch to the Upload tab
- Select the zip file on your computer
- Upload and install it
- Download the zip file and extract it
- Connect to your website via FTP (you can use a software like Filezilla to transfer files to your server) and browse to the “/wp-content/plugins” folder
- Select the folder containing the plugin files on your computer and upload it
- Once all the files have been uploaded to your web server you can activate the plugin from the Plugins menu (WordPress admin dashboard)
WordPress Image SEO Plugin Usage
Once you have installed the plugin go to “Settings->WP Image SEO” on your WP dashboard. It will take you to the General Settings menu of the plugin.
In the General Settings menu there are various options that you can configure.
- ALT attribute – It allows you to change the alt attributes
- TITLE attribute – It allows you to change the title attributes
You can either directly enter a text for the ALT and TITLE attributes or use the following tags:
- %name – It allows you to automatically replace the alt or title tag with the name of the image
- %title – It allows you to automatically replace the alt or title tag with the title of the current post
You need to enable the following options to change the alt and title attributes automatically:
- Override default WordPress image alt tag
- Override default WordPress image title
If you have an image named “McLaren.jpg” in a post titled “Car Image”:
- Setting alt attribute to “%name %title” will produce alt=”McLaren Car Image”
- Setting title attribute to “%name image” will produce title=”McLaren image”