WordPress 4.6 named “Pepper” is now available for download. WordPress 4.6 includes a wide range of exciting features like streamlined updates, native fonts in the admin, inline link check and content recovery in the editor etc.
Streamlined updates also known as Shiny Updates v2 replaces progress updates with a simpler and more straight forward experience. You stay on the same page when installing, updating, and deleting plugins and themes.
Native Fonts in the Admin
Experience faster load times, especially when working offline, a removal of a third-party dependency, and a more native-feeling experience as the lines between the mobile web and native applications continue to blur.
A more reliable recovery mode has been added so WordPress can save your content to the browser.
Inline Link Checker
WordPress 4.6 now automatically detects broken URLs while you type them.
There have been changes for developers to explore as well.
Resource hints help browsers decide which resources to fetch and preprocess. It allow browsers to prefetch specific pages, render them in the background, perform DNS lookups, or to begin the connection handshake (DNS, TCP, TLS) in the background. WordPress 4.6 adds them automatically for your styles and scripts making your site even faster.
New WP_Site_Query class
A new WP_Site_Query class has been introduced to query sites.
New WP_Network_Query class
A new WP_Network_Query class has been introduced to query networks with lazy loading for details.
A new PHP library for HTTP requests that supports parallel requests and more.
Autosaves can now be restored when revisions are disabled.
Translations managed through translate.wordpress.org now have a higher priority and are loaded just-in-time.
Alt attributes are now always added to images inserted from URLs.
The Import screen was overhauled, improving accessibility and making it much easier to install and run an importer.
External Libraries updated to the latest versions
Masonry was updated to 3.3.2, imagesLoaded to 3.2.0, MediaElement.js to 2.22.0, Backbone.js to 1.3.3, and TinyMCE to 4.4.1.
Other notable changes for developers to explore:
- WP_Term_Query is now modelled on existing query classes and provides a more consistent structure for generating term queries.
- WP_Post_Type now provides easier access to post type objects and their underlying properties.
- The Widgets API was enhanced to support registering pre-instantiated widgets.
- Index definitions are now normalized by dbDelta().
- Comments can now be stored in a persistent object cache.
- REST API responses now include an auto-discovery header and a refreshed nonce when responding to an authenticated response.
- Meta Registration API was expanded via register_meta().
- Customizer API was improved for setting validation.
- Improved handling of PHP’s memory limit which doesn’t lower the limit anymore.
- Improved handling of UTF-8 address headers for emails.