WordPress Video Plugin: Easily Embed a Video in WordPress

Videos can significantly increase the importance of a WordPress page. It makes your content much more compelling to the users as well as the search engine crawler. Research has shown that users tend to spend more time on a web page where the key concept is presented via a video.

To be honest, if I had to choose between a blog post where the content is too long (sort of like a written tutorial) and a WordPress video tutorial I would definitely be interested in the second option. That pretty much explains why video marketing has been so successful.

easy video player wordpress plugin

Table of Contents

Issues With WordPress Video Embedding

I have always experienced issues trying to embed videos on my WordPress blog. It’s just there are not many good options when it comes to video embedding. Even though there is a few I find them extremely confusing for the new WordPress users. Not all users are familiar with coding. That’s why they use WordPress. So it will be really good to have a solution that requires fewer steps to follow and meets user’s expectation.

Getting Started With Easy WordPress Video Player

Finally, I took an effort to create a plugin that may be able to resolve some of the major issues WordPress users were experiencing – Easy Video Player.

This WordPress video player plugin allows you to embed your favorite videos in a post/page.

Easy Video Player Info

Plugin Name: Easy Video Player
Version: 1.2.2.1
File Format: application/zip
Requires: WordPress 6.0
Rating: 4.1 based on 52 votes
See All Ratings/Submit Your Rating Here
Price: 0 USD

Features

• Easy WordPress video plugin
  • Embed videos using simple shortcodes (no coding required)
  • Play videos using HTML5
  • Enable automatic fallback for browsers that don’t support HTML5. It allows older browsers like Internet Explorer version 8 or lower to play your videos.
  • Embed responsive videos so they look great while browsing from mobile devices.

Installation & Configuration

Embedding a Video in the Classic Editor

Download the Easy Video Player plugin

• Login to your Admin Dashboard and go to “Plugins->Add New”
  • Click on the upload option
  • Select the easy-video-player.zip file on your computer
  • Install and Activate the plugin.

Now go to the Settings menu of the plugin (Settings->Easy Video Player) and check the “Enable jQuery” option. That’s all you need to do for configuring the plugin.

Embedding Videos in a Post/Page

Create a new post/page and embed the following shortcode:

[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4"]

Now replace the URL parameter with the actual URL of your video.

That’s it. Simply publish the post/page and your video will be embedded along with your content.

screenshot showing a demo of the easy video player WordPress plugin

Video Autoplay

If you want a particular video to start playing automatically you can set the “autoplay” option to “true” in the shortcode:

[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4" autoplay="true"]

Control Player Size

To control the size of a video you can specify a width:

[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4" width="640"]

Control Player Aspect Ratio

The player aspect ratio is set to “16:9” by default. To override it you can specify a different ratio:

[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4" ratio="4:3"]

Poster Image

You can specify a poster image for your video by adding the “poster” parameter in the shortcode:

[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4" poster="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/images/poster.jpg"]

Video Loop

If you want a particular video to start playing again when it ends you can set the “loop” option to “true” in the shortcode:

[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4" loop="true"]

Video Muted

If you want to mute the audio output of the video by default you can set the “muted” option to “true” in the shortcode:

[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4" muted="true"]

Custom CSS

You can specify custom classes in the shortcode to customize the player. For example:

[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4" class="myclass"]

You can specify more than one class (separated by whitespaces) in the shortcode.

[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4" class="myclass1 myclass2"]

Player Template

By default, the player uses the Plyr template. However, you can choose a different player template using the template parameter.

[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4" template="mediaelement"]
screenshot of MediaElement player template in the Easy Video Player plugin

Video Preload

By default, the mediaelement template only renders the metadata of a video when the page loads. If you want to change this behavior you can set the “preload” option to “auto” or “none” in the shortcode.

• “metadata”: Only metadata should be loaded when the page loads (default)
  • “auto”: The video should be loaded entirely when the page loads
  • “none”: The video should not be loaded when the page loads
[evp_embed_video url="http://example.com/wp-content/uploads/videos/vid1.mp4" preload="auto" template="mediaelement"]

Center Video

By default, the mediaelement player is aligned to the left. However, you can use this method to align the video in the middle.

• Open your theme customizer
  • Add this CSS under “Appearance -> Customize > Additional CSS”
.wp-video {
    text-align: center;
    margin-left: auto;
    margin-right: auto;
}

Easy Video Player Add-ons

Easy Video Player plugin comes with various add-ons that you can use to enhance its functionality on your website.

MediaElement Skin 1

When this add-on is active, a clean player (using the mediaelement template) will load without a controlbar background.

easy video player mediaelement skin 1
Easy Video Player MediaElement Skin 1
Easy Video Player MediaElement Skin 1
A clean skin for the Easy Video Player MediaElement template.
Price: $39.99
Price: $29.99

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Can I automatically play videos on mobile devices?

No. Video autoplay is disabled by default on iOS and android devices. This is to make sure that no data is loaded until the user initiates it. There is nothing you can do as this is how it was designed by the hardware manufacturer. You can even try embedding a video without using this plugin and the autoplay feature won’t still work.

Can I upload videos on WordPress using this plugin?

There is no uploader in the plugin. You can either use the media uploader in WordPress or connect to your website via FTP to upload videos.

How do I show videos on WordPress using this plugin?

Insert the video shortcode into a post/page and replace the value of the url parameter with the actual URL of your video.

What is the best video format for WordPress?

If you wish to host the video files on a server, MP4 is the way to go. Most devices and platforms support MP4 making it the most universal video format.

What is the best video encoder?

If wish to use a free encoder handbrake can be a great choice.

How do I upload a large video to WordPress?

You can either increase your maximum file upload size or connect to your website via FTP and directly upload the video.

Priority Support

Easy Video Player Technical Support
Easy Video Player Technical Support
Our technical support team will troubleshoot Easy Video Player plugin related issues on your website.
Price: $29.99

781 thoughts on “WordPress Video Plugin: Easily Embed a Video in WordPress”

1. The poster parameter doesn’t seem to work 🙁

• @JL, What shortcode are you using? Please provide a link to the page in question so I can take a look.

• Sorry, I should have mentioned that 😉

The second video should have a Thumbnail/Poster. It shows up on my Iphone, but not in Safari on my Mac.

The code is:
        [evp_embed_video url="http://webseite.gymga.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Videos/Latein.mp4" preload="metadata" poster="http://webseite.gymga.de/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/phonto-scaled.jpg"]

• My reply seems not to be shown here…

Anyways, you’re right, I should’ve said that 😉

Here is the page: https://webseite.gymga.de/wordpress/?page_id=6925

The second video should show the Thumbnail/Poster. It is actually shown on my Iphone, but noch in Safari on my Mac.

• @JL, Please remove the preload attribute and see what happens.

2. Is there a way to hide or remove the right mouse click on the video so people can’t download it?

3. Hi, is there a way to hide every button and controls?

• I was also looking for that feature, if you add the following to your CSS it actually hides the controls:

.plyr__controls,
      .plyr--full-ui.plyr--video .plyr__control--overlaid {
      	display: none;
      }

4. hi, the plugin have an error with php 7.1+

PHP versión 7.4.13

Detalles del error
    ==================
    Se ha producido un error del tipo E_ERROR en la línea 51 del archivo /public_html/wp-content/plugins/easy-video-player/easy-video-player.php. Mensaje de error: Uncaught Error: [] operator not supported for strings in public_html/wp-content/plugins/easy-video-player/easy-video-player.php:51
    Stack trace:
    #0 /home2/tenefono/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php(289): EASY_VIDEO_PLAYER->easy_video_player_plugin_action_links(‘

• @massimo, I’ve just released an update to fix it. Please update the plugin and let me know how it goes.

5. How to advertise video add on a video pop up add

• @Kaishav, The plugin doesn’t have an option to do this at the moment.

6. How do I insert a Youtubevideo into the side bar (as a widget?) that will autoplay when scrolling thru?

7. Hello,
    I’m using (I believe) your latest version of your plug-in (Version 1.2.1) and I am using WordPress Version 5.6. Yet, I just noticed that all of my videos (using your plugin have stopped working).

These videos were working just a few days ago (just fine).

Have you seen any other such complaints or do you know why this would be happening?

• @Darrell, Please provide a link to the page in question so I can take a look.

8. hello, I’d like adding video url using custom field than post field and call the loop at single.php file, may you help me please

9. I’m trying to get a video to render vertical and autoplay.

Using the default template, it looks like width, height, and ratio don’t seem to do anything?

For example, if I use the following shortcode, it still gets wrapped in a responsive box with `padding-bottom: 56.25%` (which is 16×9).

[evp_embed_video url="https://mywebsite.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/myvideo.mp4" loop="true" autoplay="true" ratio="9:16" muted="true"]

Furthermore, the “class” attribute sets the class directly on the video element itself, so I can’t use custom CSS to target the wrapper. If there were a wrapperClass or something, then I could at least deal with this with custom CSS.

If I instead use template=”mediaelement”, it auto-identifies the native aspect ratio of the video (without specifying width, height, or ratio), but if I have multiple videos the “autoplay” only works on the last video on the page.

Do you know how I can either get ratio to work with the default (plyr) template or to get autoplay to work on all videos for the mediaelement template?

Using Easy Video Player Version 1.2.1

• Looks like if I could set pauseOtherPlayers=”false” for mediaelement, then that would fix it for me! (http://mediaelementjs.donteatthefruit.com/#options) I’m seeing that setting it in the shortcut code doesn’t work currently.

• @Peter, Customization is not possible for the mediaelement template since WordPress core now uses it.

• @Peter, The ratio needs to be either “16:9” or “4:3”.

10. I love this plug in thank you. Is there a way to hide every button and control as I have got it on autoplay?

• @Helen, Unfortunately that’s not possible at the moment.

11. I really love this plug-in it works a treat. Thanks so much. I would really like the option of hiding certain controls via short codes.

12. Hi

I have recently installed your plugin and so far it works great – nice job.

I’ve been able to set up videos and post images that all work perfectly.

Is there a way of adding Ads (advertisements) to the player? For example, either pop-up overlay image Ads that appear at predefined times as the video plays or pre-roll Video Ads that appear before the main video plays.

Would you be able to offer standard code for this?

Many thanks
    JM

• @JM, The player doesn’t support ads at the moment.

• ok – thanks for the reply

13. does the player hide the video url and can not hotlinking?

• @loc, That’s not possible at the moment.

14. Hi, thanks for your great plugin. how can I enable users to choose the quality of the vidoes?

• @Zahra, That’s not possible at the moment.

15. This plugin is very good. It’s light and easy to use as the name “easy video player” suggests but is there a way to add subtitles to it? thank you

• @june, It’s not possible at the moment.

16. How do I add a description to my videos on my website?

• @Ray, That’s not possible at the moment.

17. Hi,
    i find the plugin very effective and simple.
    I’m using the default code as shown on the installation page,
    but i get only the “Remaining Time” (that is -xx:xx) on the right.

I would show the “Seek Time” on the left of the Seek Bar too.

How can i do?

18. is there any issue if I don’t enable jQuery of the plugin. Please let me know because wasn’t aware of it that’s wahy I am using the plugin without enabling it.
    Is it necessary to enable jQuery for this plugin?

• @Malik, jQuery is necessary. Even if you don’t enable it in the plugin it may still be included by your theme or another plugin.

• is it ok to enable jQuery now?
        one more thing if you can help me with. Some of my videos embed with your plugin don’t play in Chrome & Edge (latest versions) but UC Mini can play them well.

19. This plug in is great. Thank you so much!. Is there any way to shut off the video controls (e.g., play, stop etc)?

20. This is a nifty plugin. Thanks for providing it.

I’m trying to post a video that’s transcoded using VLC Media Player from an RTSP stream. It’s a live webcam. When I post it with the unaltered shortcode (no attributes), it loads constantly but doesn’t play. If I add the mediaelement template and other attributes, I get the “Media error: Format(s) not supported or source(s) not found” error then a download notice. I’ve tested it in Chrome, FF, and Safari. There are no console errors except on what I think is the mediaelement. This stream has been a challenge to post. The page is here:

If you could delete the username and password after you’ve reviewed the page, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!
    Lisa

• @Lisa, The plugin doesn’t support streaming at the moment.