Simple YouTube Embed Plugin for WordPress

Simple YouTube Embed is a WordPress plugin that allows you to embed YouTube videos and make it responsive and prettier. You can embed a YouTube video with the highest resolution version of its thumbnail image and present it much more professionally to your visitors.

With Simple YouTube Embed, you can prevent YouTube from showing related videos when a video finishes playing. You can also apply advanced customizations such as automatically play a video, hiding player controls, fullscreen option etc.

Simple YouTube Embed Info

Plugin Name: Simple YouTube Embed
Version: 1.0.7
File Format: application/zip
Requires: WordPress 5.3
Rating: 4.4 based on 12 votes
See All Ratings/Submit Your Rating Here
Price: 0 USD

Requirements

1. A self-hosted WordPress site running on a WordPress Optimized Environment.
  2. Support for the oEmbed API.

YouTube Embed Plugin Demo

YouTube Embed Plugin Installation

• Login to your WordPress admin dashboard
  • Go to Plugins->Add New
  • Enter Simple YouTube Embed in the search box
  • Once you find the plugin hit the install button

Option 2

• Download the zip version of the YouTube plugin
  • Go to Plugins->Add New and click on the Upload tab
  • Select the zip file on your computer
  • Upload and install it

Option 3

• Download the zip file and extract it
  • Connect to your site via FTP (you can use a tool like Filezilla to transfer files to your server)
  • Browse to the “/wp-content/plugins” folder
  • Select the folder containing the plugin files on your computer and upload it
  • Once all the files have been uploaded to your web server, you can activate the plugin from the Plugins menu (WordPress admin dashboard)

YouTube Embed Plugin Usage

You can easily embed a YouTube video by inserting the URL into a YouTube block in your post/page editor. For example:

screenshot showing how to embed a youtube url in wordpress

Once you publish the post/page, your YouTube video should like the following,

screenshot of a YouTube video using the simple youtube embed plugin

If you already have some YouTube videos embedded, the plugin will automatically make them pretty like the one above.

Automatically Play a Video

Add “autoplay=1” to the URL if you wish to automatically play the video after the page loads.

Disable Related Videos

Add “rel=0” to the URL if you wish to disable related videos from displaying when the YouTube video finishes.

Disable Player Controls

Add “controls=0” to the URL if you wish to disable YouTube player controls.

Disable Fullscreen

Add “fs=0” to the URL to disable the fullscreen option in the YouTube player.

If you wish to display a YouTube video in lightbox, please check this tutorial on how to embed a YouTube video in lightbox.

Disclosure: This page may contain affiliate links. If you follow one of those affiliate links and purchase something it will provide me with a little bit of a commission. This costs you nothing extra but helps maintain my site, free plugins, and themes. So I thank you for your support.

109 thoughts on “Simple YouTube Embed Plugin for WordPress”

1. Is there a way to adjust the width of the preview image? I uploaded the preview at 1170px but the preview displays at 865px. The video plays fine at 1170.

2. I’d like to set the quality automatically om the maximum HD1080p.
    How can I do that using this plugin?

• @Cecile, That’s something YouTube does automatically based on the connection speed.

3. Hi there i need some help, is there a way i can add a comment box below every video,i have embedded many videos in one page and may be some like buttons…here is my link…http://www.jacksonkanyoro.co.ke/videos/?preview=true. Thanks

• @Jackson, You mean a comment box like the one that appears on the YouTube video page?

4. Hello,

It doesn’t appear to be working for me. When I view page source, all it renders is:

and nothing is visible on the page. It’s pulling the id, but it’s just an empty div. Any idea why this is happening?

• @Jesse, Did you try it in text mode? Did you actually publish the page to see if it renders the YouTube video?

5. Dear Author this plugin is working fine in case of desktop. but for mobile devices the videos are not playing
    Please Help.

6. Hello,
    I add a Youtube video to my YouTube Embed the Simple WordPress plugin. Youtube page of Adsense Ads appears in the video, but can not be opened in their Adsense ads on the videos above reproach. Please help.

7. Hey,

Great plugin πŸ™‚

It would be great if you could get this to work with ACF’s (Advanced Custom Fields) oEmbed field.

8. Hello there ..I installed this plugin but it didnot work for me .Video cannot be displayed .
    Would please look at http://glamorousnepalese.com/priyanka-and-ayushmans-new-cover-song-out-on-youtube.html and tell me why it isnot working ?

• @Shraddha, Are you using the embed shortcode? or did you directly copy and paste the URL into the page?

There is a JavaScript error on that page. Please fix it first so we can get into the plugin issue. This tutorial will help you debug JavaScript errors:

• I activated plug in and none of my embedded you tube videos allow full screen still. When i click full screen it says option unavailable. How do I make my videos go fullscreen? Here is my embed URL: [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzeKNVSUQ0]

When I use the “&rel=0” at end of my embed URL it turns my video black and says playback not allowed. here is my URL:
        [youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jzeKNVSUQ0&rel=0]

• @IGOW, Are you embedding this video at wordpress.com? That’s clearly not the shortcode for embeddng it on a self-hosted WordPress site. The documentation actually explains how you can embed a video as well as turn on various options for it.

• Im confused then I guess I need more guidance. The link is directly from you tube embed option. It renders and plays just fine on my site, with the exception of 2 issues. It will not allow full screen even when we click the icon in bottom right corner of screen. AND it off and on shows related videos and replaces my embedded video unless you refresh the page.

If you can guide me to use this better that would be great. thanks again

• also when I try to use just the youtube URL and add media it does nothing and displays nothing including the code isn’t displayed or any image when using just the watch URL not the embed link

9. I have seen a couple questions about resizing, but no response. Does that mean we are unable to resize the video on our webpage? Thanks!

• @John, The size is automatically determined by WordPress based on the content area. It has nothing to do with the plugin.

10. Hi admin,
    I just installed this plugin and works fine on desktop, but not on mobile phones and tablets. Is there any fix to this? Highly appreciate it

• @Shumet, It just uses plain YouTube embed code. But I’m not sure why it wouldn’t run on mobile devices. Please provide a link to the page in question so I can take a look.

11. Unfortunately it’s just not behaving as hoped. I can see the video in the page preview but not on the home page where the page is allocated. What is your advice please?
    The page it’s not working on: http://118.127.46.83/~horshamcoc/

• @Phunkemedia, What happens if you deactivate the plugin?

• Ha @admin, nothing happens

• @Phunkemedia, oEmbed is a WordPress feature. Your video should work even if the plugin is deactivated.

The plugin simply lets you customize the thumbnail and some YouTube parameters. So if it doesn’t work WordPress is not being able to embed the video with oEmbed.

• …oh… well that sucks… thanks for shedding some light… do you know how I find out how to fix it?

12. I am having same issue with IE 11. Works fine on Chrome! Shows PLAY button and YouTube Video Preview with a circle and line logo.

Nice on Chrome though! Good job!

Thanks!

13. Cool plugin thanks. Could be great if we could select our own thumbnail. To avoid this kind of remarks: https://img.youtube.com/vi/gydzuiagdza/maxresdefault.jpg is resized in HTML or CSS from 1280×720 to 440×248. Serving a scaled image could save 28.1KiB (88% reduction).

14. Hi there! I’ve been using your plugin for a couple of months now, and have been one happy panda because it does exactly what I want and I didn’t notice anything going wrong.

Until I (by accident) checked my pages on Edge (latest installment, 42.17134.1.0), and realized none of the videos show…

An example of working code:

On Edge the whole part isn’t visible in the code, it’s just the empty div.

Is this a know issue, and would you have an idea in what direction I should start troubleshooting? I am of course using a bunch of other plugins across the website, and switching them off on a live environment will be kinda unpleasant. If the issue is completely unknown I’ll create a mirror to test without plugins, let me know πŸ™‚

• @Yoran, Please provide a link to the page in question so I can take a look.

• Here is an example, scroll down until you hit the part “Video (youtube)”

• @Yoran, Thanks. I saw some JavaScript errors when I loaded for the first time. The errors were gone and the video appeared when I hit refresh. Either there is something wrong with the edge browser or your site has some caching issue.

• Alright, I’ll load a mirror on the weekend and see if I can figure out which plugins are conflicting. In any case the issue is then probably related to my installment, and not a global one with your plugin. I’ll give an update if I figure something out, and thanks for you help! πŸ˜€

Always the risk with WordPress huh, running 30+ plugins πŸ˜‰

• @Yoran, True. If this doesn’t get fixed you can choose to deactivate the plugin and WordPress will still be able to render the YouTube video.

15. Change all http:// to https:// or // to make it SSL correct and avoid Unsafe scripts warnings in modern browsers.

Kind regards/Stefan

• @Stefan, Please provide a link to the page in question so I can take a look.

16. Hi.
    I love this plugin and works fine on desktops but not on mobile phones and tablets. I saw someone else had the same issue. Is there any fix for this? I have no errors in the console and I really need this.

Can you check this page please?

Brent

• I should add that I’m using the Divi theme and this videos are in a slider in each tab. The first video loads on tab 1 but not on the others.

• @Brent, The video doesn’t appear on desktop either. However, I see some JavaScript errors on that page. Please insert a YouTube block and paste the video URL to see how it goes.

• Hi, thanks for the reply. I have fought this all day. Honestly I have too much stuff going on between this damn Divi theme, a video link that pops up and a slider. I’m working on another approach with just using CSS. I’ll get back to you. Okay?

17. Hi again.

If you wouldn’t mind taking a look at this I would really appreciate it! I’m back to the same issue of the YouTube videos working fine on the desktop but not in mobile. Very frustrated!! I can give you access if needed but I’m going to bed.

Here’s the link to the page with the problem:

Thanks again best regards,
    Brent

• @Brent, Try this:

1) Inset a YouTube block into the WordPress page editor
      2) Copy and paste the video URL in it

18. What do you mean by a block? Sorry I don’t follow.
    Thanks.

• @Brent, Are you using the new WordPress block based post editor?

19. Can you help me to review some problems happen that the videos on the youtube did not auto-resize to fix with my website although I have used your application already. Check on the attached link.