Checkout for PayPal WordPress plugin connects PayPal to your WordPress website and makes e-commerce available for you. With this PayPal plugin, you can create smart payment buttons with a simple shortcode to accept PayPal payments from your customers.
Checkout for PayPal plugin uses the PayPal Checkout API to create a simplified and secure checkout experience for your customers. With one simple shortcode, you can add a PayPal smart payment button to your website that lets you accept PayPal, Pay Later, credit and debit card payments from any mobile device, tablet, or PC.
PayPal Pay Later
When eligible, your existing PayPal buttons change to show a new Pay Later button. When customers select Pay Later, they can pay with flexible, buy now, pay later financing offers.
PayPal offers short-term, interest-free payments and other special financing options that buyers can use to buy now and pay later, while merchants still get paid up-front. Because pay later offers are included with PayPal Checkout, you won’t pay additional costs.
Pay later offers include the following:
- Pay in 4, which buyers can use to pay for purchases in four, interest-free installments.
- PayPal Credit, a revolving line of credit that buyers can use to pay over time.
Checkout for PayPal Info
- Accept PayPal, Pay Later (Pay in 4 and PayPal Credit) payments
- No monthly fee
- Accept credit card and debit card payments
- Simplified and secure mobile checkout experience
- Accept one-time payments
- Simplified PCI compliance
- Checkout with a click of a button
- Accept payments in multiple countries and currencies
Checkout for PayPal Plugin Installation
- Login to your WordPress admin dashboard
- Go to Plugins->Add New
- Enter Checkout for PayPal in the search box
- Once you find the plugin hit the install button
- Download the zip version of the plugin
- Go to Plugins->Add New and switch to the Upload tab
- Select the zip file on your computer
- Upload and install it
- Download the zip file and extract it
- Connect to your website via FTP (you can use a software like Filezilla to transfer files to your server) and browse to the “/wp-content/plugins” folder
- Select the folder containing the plugin files on your computer and upload it
- Once all the files have been uploaded to your web server you can activate the plugin from the Plugins menu (WordPress admin dashboard)
How Does Checkout for PayPal Work?
Checkout for PayPal uses PayPal REST API to add smart payment buttons to your website. To Generate REST API credentials for the sandbox and live environments:
- Log in to the Developer Dashboard with your PayPal account credentials.
- On My Apps & Credentials, use the toggle to switch between live and sandbox testing apps (If you are creating a Sandbox app, you will also need to select a test business account that will act as the API caller).
- Navigate to the REST API apps section and click Create App.
- Type a name for your app and click Create App. The app details page opens and displays your credentials.
- Copy and save the client ID and secret for your app.
- Review your app details and save your app.
Log in to your WordPress admin dashboard and navigate to Checkout for PayPal > Settings.
- Enter the Client ID for your REST API app.
- Enter the default Currency Code.
- Enter a return page URL to which the customer will be redirected after a payment.
- Click Save Changes.
In order to create a smart payment button, you just need to insert a shortcode and a price in the button parameter. The shortcode needs to be inserted into a shortcode block of the default WordPress post/page editor.
PayPal Smart Payment Button Demo
PayPal Button Customizations
“item_description” parameter can be added to the shortcode to pass a description of your item to PayPal. For example:
[checkout_for_paypal item_description="My item description" amount="3.99"]
“return_url” parameter can be added to the shortcode to redirect the customer to a specific page on your site after the payment. For example:
[checkout_for_paypal item_description="My item description" amount="3.99" return_url="https://example.com/thank-you/"]
Manage PayPal Orders
When you receive a new order it will appear in the Orders menu. You can then do the following to finalize it:
1) Send a purchase confirmation email to the customer (include download links if applicable)
2) Ship the goods